Saturday, December 18, 2010

What Christmas Means to Me: A Sailor's Story

Alot of people think of Christmas and its different for each and every one of them. Christmas for me means I time with my family, time with the people I love most. I always took for granted spending Christmas and the holidays with my family. Now, I am older and currently serving in the United States Navy, I realize how important this time really is.

Every winter since I have been in the Navy, I have taken a Greyhound bus from Norfolk, Virginia to Williamsport, Pennsylvania. It was a long trip, but one that I looked forward to each year. It meant that I could be with my family for a week or two. I could only see them about 3 weeks a year.

I come home in my dress blues and everyone is so happy to see me and they tell me how proud that they are. It's a feeling I can not describe. It makes me feel all warm inside just thinking about it. I remember sitting around the Christmas table answering all sorts of questions that my family through at me. Where are you stationed at? What do you do in the Navy now? What countries have you visited? I am bombarded with questions. It does get overwhelming sometimes answering so many questions but I know they do not mean any harm and just want to learn more about what I do. After all, I get to attack them with questions when they are done with me. So I know what happened since last time I have been home.

I can not talk about Christmas without talking about presents. After all, it is the season of giving right? There is no better feeling then seeing the people you care about most in the world smiling because of you. I try my best to buy my family the best gifts I can afford. They took care of me when I was growing up, so I try and take care of them. I usually do not ask for anything. Seeing them is more than enough for me. But it seems that they can not resist giving me things.
Things are better now though. I am stationed in Avoca, Pennsylvania only an hour and half from where I grew up. I go home about 3 weeks a month. I can't believe it. It is like heaven. I don't get to see everyone

 when I come home. I do try my best to see as many people as I can though. I also have a girlfriend now. So I get to meet her side of the family and I still get bombarded with questions. Whenever I do, I can't help but think back to those days around Gram's Christmas table.


No comments:

Post a Comment